1. Vegetables (drumstick, carrots, white pumpkin, raw plaintain, yam, cucumber (vellarika), snakegourd) - all to cut to 1 1/2 inch length
2. Shallots (crushed) - 2 to3
3. Curds - 1/2 cup
4. Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
5. Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
6. Salt - as per taste
7. Water - enough to cook the veggies
8. Coconut oil - 2 tbsp
For coconut paste :
1. Grated coconut - 1 cup
2. Green chillis - 4
3. Jeera - a pinch
1. In a vessel take the vegetables, crushed shallots, water (do not add too much water as the vegetables might turn too soft), salt, 1 sprig of curry leaves and turmeric powder. Cover cook till the vegetables are tender.
2. Add the coconut paste ( should be coarse). Mix well gently. Cook till the water evaporates.
3. Reduce heat and add curd. Mix. After a minute or two drizzle coconut oil and add curry leaves. Remove from heat and cover the vessel so that the aroma does not escape.
Enjoy aviyal with hot rice and pappadum :).