- Black channa/ kadala - 2 handfuls
- Onion - 1 sliced
- Ginger 1" piece - chopped fine
- Green chillis (slit) - 3
- Curry leaves - a few
- Coriander powder - 1 tbslp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp (lightly crushed)
- Meat masala/ chicken masala - 1 tsp (optional)
- Oil - 3 to 4 tblsp
- Mustard - 1/2 tsp
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
Soak black channa overnight. Pressure cook with a pinch of salt.
Heat oil and add mustard. When it crackles add onion, green chillis, ginger and curry leaves. Saute till the onion turns soft.
Add crushed fennel seeds, coriander pd., turmeric pd., and saute for a minute. At this point if desired, add the meat masala. Pour the cooked channa alongwith the water used for cooking the same. Add salt and bring to a boil.
Pour the coconut milk and adjust the consistency. Boil for a minute or two. Remove from stove and garnish with some curry leaves.