- Halibut - 1 lb
- Onion - 1 big (chopped lengthwise)
- Green Chillis - 4 nos.
- Curry leaves - 2 springs
- Ginger - 1" pc smashed
- Tomato - 1 big
- Turmeric pd. - 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli pd. - 2 tbsp
- Salt - as reqd
- Tamarind pulp - 1 cup (extracted from a lemon sized ball)
For the coconut paste:
- Grated coconut - 1 cup
- Jeera - 1/2 tsp
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Shallots (small red onion) -2 nos. chopped fine
- Curry leaves - 5-6
- Coconut oil - 2 tbsp
1. In a clay pot (meen chatti) put in cleaned and cut pieces of halibut alongwith chopped onion, crushed ginger, green chillis slit lengthwise, chopped tomato and curry leaves ( save a few for seasoning). Add chilli pd., turmeric pd., salt and gently mix with your hand.
2. Pour the tamarind extract. If needed add some water, so that the pieces are immersed in it. Cover cook till fish is done. Make sure to be very gentle while stirring occasionally, so that the pieces won't fall apart.
3. Add the ground coconut paste and bring to a boil. Check the spice level, salt etc.
4. After giving a good mix let it boil for about 3 to 4 minutes. Heat oil in a kadai. Add the finely chopped shallots and curry leaves. When shallots turn dark brown pour into the curry and turn the stove off.