1. Shrimp – 1 lb
2. Shallots (small onions) – 7
3. Green Chillis – 3
4. Ginger – ½” piece
5. Garlic – 2 cloves
6. Grated coconut - 2 tbsp cup
7. Coconut milk – ½ cup
8. Salt – as reqd.
9. Chilli powder – 1 tsp
10. Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
11. Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
12. Tamarind pulp – 3/4th of a cup
13. Cocum (kudam puli) – 3 pieces
1. Shell, devein and clean/wash the shrimp. Sprinkle some salt and a pinch of turmeric powder. Mix and set aside. Immerse the cocum in a small bowl of water.
2. Slice the shallots lengthwise, slit green chillis, finely chop ginger, and smash the garlic with the back of a knife. Put all these ingredients in a clay pot or "mann chatti" along with the shrimp, tamarind pulp (a lime sized ball squeezed in 3/4th cup of water), cocum, salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder and a sprig of curry leaf. Mix well and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. Add the grated coconut and coconut milk. At this point water can be added depending on the consistency required. Mix well and let it boil for 2 minutes. Check the salt and spice level.
4. Add the oil and the remaining curry leaves and keep covered. Turn the stove off. Enjoy with hot steamed rice and pappad.
Another method: Heat oil and saute shallots, ginger, green chillis and then add the other ingredients mentioned in method #1.