1. Veloori (white sardines) - 1 lb
2. Chilli Powder - 4 heaped tbsp
3. Turmeric powder - 3/4th tsp
4. Crushed pepper (fresh) - 1 tbsp
5. Lemon juice - 2 tbsp
6. Water - enough to make a paste of the above
7. Oil (for authentic taste use coconut oil)
8. Curry leaves - a few
1. Clean veloori and keep aside.
2. In a bowl take all the ingredients from 2 to 6 and make a smooth paste. Should not be too runny.
3. Coat the veloori with the masala paste and refrigerate for an hour or as desired.
4. Heat enough oil in a kadai for frying. Fry each side depending upon how crispy you want it to be. If its too crispy it can be eaten as is, without bothering about the bones.
5. Enjoy with steamed rice and buttermilk curry (kachiya moru) or curd rice.