May 17, 2011
Avil (poha/ flattened rice) Upma
This is one of the easiest recipes for breakfast. A generous amount of coconut oil and grated coconut goes into this dish. Everytime I make this, it brings back lot of fond memories of my childhood days :)
1. Avil (thick)- 2 cups
2. Onion - 1 (finely chopped)
3. Curry leaves - 1 sprig
4. Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
5. Ginger - 1" piece (minced)
6. Green chilli - 2 (slit)
7. Dry red chilli - 1
8. Split urad dal - 1 tsp
9. Mustard seeds - 3/4th tsp
10. Salt - as per taste
11. Oil - 6 tblsp
1. Gently wash and drain the avil. I soak it for 2 to 3 minutes before draining.
2. Heat oil in a kadai. Add mustard seeds. Once they start spluttering add urad dal and broken dry red chilli. Wait till the dal turns golden brown.
3. Add the minced ginger, green chillis, curry leaves and onion. Saute till the onion turns soft. Add the drained avil and salt. If it seems too dry, sprinkle some water and cover cook for a minute. Mix well and add grated coconut.
4. Enjoy it hot with sugar, banana and a hot cup of tea!