The easiest dish to prepare when I'am not in one of the "rise and shine" moods. It was not one of my favorites as a child. But that's not the case anymore! Anyways, here's my recipe for the same.
1. Semolina - 1 cup
2. Onion chopped - 1 no.
3. Green Chillis - 4
4. Ginger chopped fine - 1" pc
5. Curry leaves - 1 sprig
6. Channa dal - 1/2 tsp
7. Turmeric pd. - a pinch
8. Salt - as per taste
9. Water - 2 cups
10. Grated coconut - 3 tbsp
11. Coriander leaves - a handful (chopped)
12. Oil or ghee - 1/4 cup
1. Dry fry semolina till light brown. Keep an eye, as it burns pretty fast. When done move to a plate to cool.
2. In the same pan take oil or ghee (you can mix both). When hot add in the mustard. Once the mustard is done spluttering go ahead and put in the channa dal, ginger, green chillis , turmeric pd. and curry leaves.
3. When the onion turns soft, add water and required amount of salt. Bring to a boil. Gradually add the semolina and keep stirring to avoid formation of lumps. When the water is all absorbed add the chopped corainder leaves and coconut. Mix well.
4. Serve hot with chutney. I personally like it with banana and sugar.
NOTE: You can add a few drops of lime/ lemon juice when the water is boiling.